#60 Reinventing Assessment will Improve Learning With Melissa DeanDec 21, 2021
Listen & Subscribe
Melissa Dean is back on Allison Loves Math Podcast!
Blogger at Dean of Math, middle school math teacher, and author of the upcoming book, ‘Unschool,’ Melissa Dean is back sharing new ways to disrupt math class. Melissa’s first interview in Season 1 explored ways to Radically Reimagine Your Math Class and today she’s here to explore how to radically reimagine how we assess and evaluate math learning.
Allison and Melissa discuss:
- The story and purpose behind Melissa’s new book, Unschool [6.47]
- The importance of assessing math learning the correct way [7.25]
- Ideas to start changing your assessment and evaluation style [9.35]
- Why and how to emphasize providing feedback in assessment [15.55]
- Melissa’s big ah-ha moment with her students [17.42]
- The changing role of math teachers education [23.58]
- We send different messages to our kids through the way we are teaching and a whole different message through the way we are assessing.
- Any assessment that we do needs to answer 3 questions:
- Where am I right now?
- Where do I need to go next?
- How am I going to get there?
- If you don’t know how to do something, look it up. Google.
Links from the Episode
- Catch up with Melissa's previous episode: https://www.allisonlovesmath.com/blog/melissadean
- If you liked these interviews, you might also like the Statistics’s episode - Bring Your Statistics Class to Life with Community Engaged Learning: https://allisonlovesmath.mykajabi.com/blog/52
Connect with Melissa Dean
- Website: https://deanofmath.wordpress.com/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/dean_of_math
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mathmeansmore/
- Raise your Math Grade: Get this FREE short book, which is a toughen-up math manifesto mixed with you-can-do-it enthusiasm. It is an open educational resource, meaning you can share it freely with friends, students, and colleagues.
- Crush Math Now: Order this best-selling Amazon book! It is a study guide packed with all the advice Allison has given students over the years on math mindset, study skills, and test-taking strategies.
- Love Math Journal: Get this growth mindset journal to help 4th-8th grade students to succeed in and love math. This journal is co-authored by Allison and Nicole Thomson, who had been on Episode# 44 Using Gratitude to Help Students Overcome Math Anxiety.