#70 Use Math Competitions to Challenge Your Students with Ingrid MoatsJun 06, 2022
Growth comes from challenging oneself to get out of their comfort zone and try. - Ingrid Moats
When it comes to math, one of the best ways to challenge students with concepts that dig deeper into and go beyond their school curriculum is through math competitions.
In today's interview, I sit down with Ingrid Moats, owner of Tampa Bay Test Prep, to learn all about the fascinating world of math competitions. Through this episode, Ingrid answers my many questions and draws attention to the role of math competitions in shaping a student's confidence in and love of math.
Allison and Ingrid discuss:
Growing up in a math environment [1.29]
Levelling up math skills with Mathletics - Math Competitions [3.12]
Benefits of participating in math competitions [7.09]
Creating opportunities for participating in math competitions at your school [8.45]
Learning from each other [16.02]
I really loved detective stories and mystery stories, and so I was like if I could put clue 1 and clue 2 together maybe I could get something I have never seen before… I was the detective.
Math competitions give a little bit of exposure to see a variety of math they didn’t get to see before.
Light up the math brain and showcase see what they can do. Students need to know that they can struggle and succeed.
Connect with Ingrid Moats
- Instagram: @moatsingrid,
- Instagram: @tampabaytestprep
- Facebook: tampabaytestprep
- Website: www.tampabaytestprep.com
- Ingrid’s free guide to math competitions
- Raise your Math Grade: Get this FREE short book, which is a toughen-up math manifesto mixed with you-can-do-it enthusiasm. It is an open educational resource, meaning you can share it freely with friends, students, and colleagues.
Crush Hypothesis Testing: In Introductory Statistics, hypothesis testing is one of the most difficult topics and every teacher, textbook, YouTube video explains in a slightly different way. If it's making you frustrated, you're not alone. Learn the 5-Step Method that Makes Hypothesis Testing Easier and Understandable
- Crush Math Now: Order this best-selling Amazon book! It is a study guide packed with all the advice Allison has given students over the years on math mindset, study skills, and test-taking strategies.
- Love Math Journal: Get this growth mindset journal to help 4th-8th grade students to succeed in and love math. This journal is co-authored by Allison and Nicole Thomson, who had been on Episode# 44 Using Gratitude to Help Students Overcome Math Anxiety.
Connect with Allison
- Website: https://www.allisonlovesmath.com/
- Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Allison-Dillard/e/B07PV43V59
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AllisonLovesMath
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/allisonlovesmath
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/AllisonLuvsMath