#35 How a Liberal Arts Degree Will Help You In Math and Research with Catherine RobertsMar 14, 2021
Listen & Subscribe
This week, I interview Catherine Roberts, Executive Director of The American Mathematical Society and Math Professor at College of the Holy Cross, about the far-reaching impact her liberal arts education from Bowdoin College has had on her research, teaching, and career.
In this episode, Catherine shares:
- The many ways communication skills relate to math
- How her liberal arts degree aided her in her research on water rafting in the Grand Canyon
- How the language we use to teach subtraction in elementary school relates to higher levels of math
- The different ways teaching Calculus changed during the Calculus Reform Movement
- The goals and benefits of the American Mathematical Society (which you MUST check out!)
Watch the original video recording of the interview on YouTube:
Learn more about Catherine Roberts and the American Mathematical Society at ams.org.