#2 How to Combat Math Anxiety with Maria RyanOct 25, 2020
We can all get a little nervous when we’re taking a math test, but for some students, it’s more than nerves. Math Anxiety is a recognized problem that Dr. Maria Ryan has spent years studying.
In today’s episode, Maria Ryan and Allison Dillard deliver actionable tips that we’ve both tried and tested to help students at any age combat and overcome their math anxiety.
- 2:45 Definition of math anxiety
- 4:15 How common math anxiety is
- 6:05 How to help students with math anxiety
- 6:25 Strategy #1 Talking with your child about where their math anxiety came from
- 7:55 Strategy #2 Eliminate negative talk about math
- 9:17 Strategy #3 Parent support and conversations with teachers
- 11:00 Strategy #4 Let them do math the “new” way, even if it’s not how you learned it.
- 14:45 Strategy #5 Parents and teachers, reflect on your own math experiences or anxiety
- 15:30 Strategy #6 Reflect on and journal about math experiences
- 16:01 Strategy #7 Journal about anxiety right before your test
- 17:06 Strategy #8 Experiment with different strategies to see what works
- 17:24 Strategy #9 Meditation at the beginning of math time or before math tests
- 17:55 Strategy #10 Ask in the middle of class or math homework, how are you all feeling?
- 20:10 Strategu #10 If you blank out on exams, write down formulas as soon as you get the test.
- 21:17 Recap of all the strategies
- 21:36 Math is just a skill. It’s not magical.
- 23:40 One final strategy: Positive support. Instead of saying, “I can’t.” add “YET” so it’s “I can’t yet.”
Inspire Your Students and Kids to Love Math!
Here is your FREE...
Love Math Quick Start Guide
For Parents and Teachers
Wouldn't it be amazing if your students and kids loved math? You're in luck! I've compiled some awesome resources that I know will help you to make this happen! Here are your free resources:
- 17 Simple Ideas to Inspire your Students and Kids to Love Math and a customizable worksheet to track your inspiration and progress,
- A free downloadable copy of my book Raise Your Math Grade and all the resources and references from the book,
- A Crush Math Anxiety Weekly Gameplan and access to my Math Anxiety Resource Vault.
- Podcast interviews, book updates, and other awesome math gems to inspire your kids and students!
Inspiring your students and children to love math is the shortcut to their success and I know these free resources can help you to make that happen. Give them try and let me know how it goes! Enjoy!
Your friend, Allison
Subscribe Now to Get Started!
I will never sell your info. You can unsubscribe anytime.